Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!



There is nothing more fashionable, chic, or en vogue and stylish than being a good mother. Sometimes it takes becoming a mother ourselves to appreciate fully what our mothers did for us.

My darling mother continues to inspire me to do better, even in death. She is the supreme example of unconditional love and support. Service was second nature to her by choice. Entertaining in everyday life, she found joy in motherhood. I always felt her admiration and pride in my accomplishments. I, along with my sister Denise, have many moments when I need a "moment with mom" for advice on relationships, a recipe,or a fashion inspiration. I'm happy I know for sure that those times will come again.




One of many fine cakes baked for my birthday by Charlotte Jane, my mother!


A favorite of mine, lemon merange pie. Again, baked by my sweet mother. Yum!



Mother, preparing to cut the last birthday cake she baked for me. It was yellow cake with lemon curd filling and white mountain frosting. Fine baking was her talent and fine living was her accomplishment in life. She really learned the lessons of life and motherhood.



I remember this tender time when I took mother wig shopping and indulged her by trying one on! It was her recipe for simplified living! (Well, she was legally blind, after all. Hair styling was difficult for her with this disability.) I think she would be happy to see my natural color is just about like this now!

So many of the finest women I know are fine mothers. The women I work with- Connie , Carol, and Shannon. My daughters, Michelle and Jessie. My dear friend and co-designer kindred spirit-Linda. My sister Denise. I think motherhood brings out the best in us and refines us due to service, sacrifice and age.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

6 comments:

Lee said...

You should have no regrets. You were a wonderful daughter.
Happy Mom's day to you my friend. PS. Your summer classes look great!!!!!!!
Can't wait.
Lisa

michelle said...

I love and totally agree with your last sentence! I have learned so many things I can't imagine learning any other way.

I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

Charlotte said...

"Fine living was her accomplishment in life"—I hope that fine living becomes one of my accomplishments! What a beautiful post, and I look forward to the day when I'm a mother. You are such a wonderful example of womanhood and motherhood—happy Mother's Day!

linda said...

I love being a mother and I can certainly say that I have learned a great deal from you!!

Denise said...

You're right about "fine living being her acocomplishment in life." What a great way to put it! I, too, still find myself wishing for a phone-a-friend-in-heaven coupon. Many times.

Love you so much--whatever would I do without you!

Denise said...

You're right about "fine living being her acocomplishment in life." What a great way to put it! I, too, still find myself wishing for a phone-a-friend-in-heaven coupon. Many times.

Love you so much--whatever would I do without you!