Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sad, Sad, Sad, so Sad.....SAD!


Every year, this time of the retail holiday season starts to look sad. I mean sad. To quote my cute friend, Jan, "sad, sad, sad, so sad, very sad...SAD"! As I peruse the sales floor, trying to fill in the bare spots, my heart aches and I couldn't agree more! I know it's a good thing, but it still makes me sad to see my once filled to the brim, screaming stylish holiday, cutest ever selections...well, you know, empty. Sad.

...bookcases, once chock full of santas, snowmen, and bottle brush trees-now, a lonely few mini cloches and paper pulp house ornament stand alone...


...bare spaces, everywhere! Oh, this makes my heart hurt.




...here a santa, there a santa...



...once a fully packed tree, full of vintage inspired red and platinum ornaments...




...empty vessels with odd assortments...



...a definite surprise left unpurchased...

...sad mantle, once flanked with boxwood-filled urns and plentiful sugarcones...

p.s. this is a fresh fully bloomed amaryllis! (now 40% off...)



...a few orphaned angles stand on this mirrored platform where a bevy of skaters recently had a gathering...





...this mirrored tray which only a few hours before had a great design of candlesticks, assorted ornaments and snow, now piled with close-at-hand fill-ins...




...a second ever-so-sad mantle; minus a wreath hanging inside the frame, large weathered candlesticks, vintage photo frames, bottlebrush trees and santas, not to mention a lush garland...


...unrelated, empty tabletops everywhere!


Before leaving for the day, I did my best to fill in the empty spots and create some kind of interest. It's just sad! Where once an entire store filled with holiday magic and lush inventory in every corner stood, now an obvious end of the season.

There are a few favorites still to be found, so come in for some great deals!

Good thing in less than one month, my market for holiday 2011 begins...
Wait, did I say "good thing"....oh, dear. I'm not sure I'm ready for that again.

Thanks for a wonderfully supportive holiday 2010 season. Our first Christmas in my new location was definitely a success! (I'm not sure that my friend, Ben, was prepared for the glitter kingdom to prevail throughout our shared 10,000 square feet!) Rest assured, by next September,just a month before the whole thing starts again, the last of the glitter will finally be gone...

Have a wonderful, happy and tender Christmas. Goodbye retail holiday magic 2010.

5 comments:

Bond Girl 007 said...

Gosh, what a perspective....to see it from the other side....what had to go, went and it is remarkable, that all that goodness is now in every home celebrating a wonderful christmas. Enjoy the holidays and didn't realize in a sense, that you experience the end, before the actual day arrives! Go and have a merry christmas....I've enjoyed soo much looking at allll your goodness......

michelle said...

This is pretty sad!

I have to laugh at the glitter hanging around until it's almost time to start again...

Lee said...

I told you I felt sad when I went it. Now I feel even more sad. Thankfully I bought many of your wonderful things so my house is filled with glittery Christmas things. Love ya
Lee

Denise said...

That looks pretty bare, all right! Can't wait to see what's coming next.

Bethany Lyons said...

Susan - It was so lovely to meet you today. My mom and I left your store with many treasures, and excited to decorate our homes with them. My mom and I hung up the four wine cork pictures she purchased - two side by side, and two directly below in her kitchen already. And I already have anticipation for next holiday season, (I bought a BAGf ull of the most gorgeous silver & glitter ornaments for my tree!) I head back to NYC tomorrow with a full sleigh, but cannot wait to come back to the shop when everything is in its full regalia. You have such exquisite taste & undeniable warmth in your store and every item chosen to be there. It is palpable & so very inviting.
Thank you. -Bethany