Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Personal Touch!


Tomorrow is a big installation day for one of our whole house client projects we've been designing for several months! When I say installation, it means that the furniture will be delivered for multiple bedrooms, living room, family room, center hall, beautiful upstairs hall, and sun room.
It's always a rewarding day for me, the designer, and for the project manager who has driven the project through to this point. It's a big day of anticipation and very fulfilling to see it all come together.
Occasionally, there are surprises, like something is too big and won't fit up the stairway (even though we always consider that when furniture pieces are chosen......) What happens, do they grow,expand, change the pattern?! Once in a while something is not as expected, but for the most part it's a day long looked forward to.
You wouldn't believe what is involved in full service design! We really turn into little workers with magic wands (or so it seems when the homeowners come home)! We make up the beds with the new bedding that we have purchased, direct the placement of the furniture-an inch this way or that....some projects involve hanging new towels in the bathrooms, selecting the soap dishes and glorious accents around the soaking tub, well, you get the picture!
Tonight, in preparation for tomorrow's installation, I spent the evening washing and ironing the sheets! First, let me say, oddly enough that I enjoy ironing! If you have never slept in a freshly made bed with ironed linens, you haven't lived. Try it. You're not likely to go back! This labor of love is a gift to our client. Ahhhhhh! 600 thread count 100% cotton sheets, yes! (My daughters gave me 1000 count cotton sheets for Christmas-pure luxury!


Pressing the last hemstitch perfectly. You need a very hot iron to make your work easier.




Check out the plate to my iron! (My mother gave me this iron as a gift after I coveted hers! It has something like 2000 steam holes) It is the Rowenta Advancer. It's one fabulous iron.
All finished and folded. Very rewarding.


The car is loaded, the sheets packed to go, iron in hand (touch ups on bed skirts and the like)! and the anticipation is high. I'll show you some in progress photos tomorrow! It's going to be quite a day.

9 comments:

Jill said...

How glorious to have an entire house staged by you! I would love a big, fancy bed with ironed sheets, how cruel that it's bedtime for me now and I feel like I'm slumming it. Ha.

shannon said...

Will you even be able to sleep tonight?...It's going to be like Christmas morning for you!

I enjoy ironing as well--never could figure that one out...

As far as sleeping in freshly ironed sheets--I never sleep well the first night after my sheets have been washed even...I can't figure that one out either...
Maybe the whole freshness of it all makes me too giddy, I don't know. I've never ironed my sheets. But I've been in some fancy hotels where it appears that they have ironed theirs. It IS glorious, but again...not a good night sleep on that first night in them...

Is this a project where you will be showing pictures?...:)

Denise said...

I think it's genetic. I love to iron my sheets! I love my 800 thread count sheets and Rowenta Advancer iron, too. You're making me wish I could be there to help with the installation--I have many found memories of installation days!

Denise said...

Oops--make that "fond" memories. . ."

michelle said...

I can only imagine the installation day... how exciting for the clients to return to all that goodness!

I have never ironed my sheets, but I can see that it would be glorious to climb into bed. I can't believe you wash and iron them for your clients, that is some real service!

I don't really enjoy ironing, and especially not big things like sheets and tablecloths, as they always seem to be wrinkled again by the time I'm finished. That said, I do love our Rowenta Advancer when I DO iron. And now maybe I want some high thread count sheets as well...

Lee said...

I hate absolutely hate ironing. But I do iron my pillow cases every once in awhile. I love making the bed pretty though. Something about walking into a bedroom with a freshly made bed that heightens your mood. I'm sure Susan's bed or anything she touches heightens anyone's mood. Lee

Anonymous said...

I love, love wonderful sheets and have often said if I were wealthy I wuld hav emy sheets changed daily! What I really love is your new haircut - way stylish!

emily said...

I love our family's love for freshly ironed sheets. Those are, sadly, a luxury here at school. Your clients are lucky to have you and your Rowenta Advancer. That iron is my favorite, and my 20-steam-hole iron covets yours and Grandma's daily. =)

Bond Girl 007 said...

oH my what detail is involved in your superb service. I can only imagine you ironing KING sheets with such petit frame...oh dear, I hope it doesn't get too complex....I've just graduated to the high end sheets with waterford sheets...OHHH my how in the world did I exist before? I thought 300 were pure heaven...600 has made the difference, I can't imagine 1000 what beautiful daughters you have! I don't have a good iron, so thank you for the tip! It looks like one heavy duty iron! How giddy you must feel from all the preparation to finally see it complete!